- Glutathione (GSH) is a powerful antioxidant that aids in the reduction of oxidative stress caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable atoms created by the toxic byproducts of oxygen metabolism; they cause significant damage to living cells and tissues in a process called “oxidative stress.” Biotin is known for the role it plays in hair, skin and nail health.
Mechanism of Action / Benefits:
- Glutathione (GSH) is used as a cofactor in multiple peroxidase enzymes, which are enzymes that detoxify free radical attack on biological molecules.
- GSH is also a cofactor in transhydrogenase’s which are enzymes that reduce oxidized centers on DNA, proteins, and other biomolecules.
- Studies have shown that GSH supplementation improves lipid metabolism and acidification in skeletal muscles caused by lactic acid buildup during exercise.
- Because of GSH’s antioxidant properties it detoxifies the skin from free radical damage caused by UV exposure and protects the skin from future pigmentation and may contribute to brightening of the skin.
- Biotin promotes the production of keratin, which is the main protein that strengthens hair, skin and nails. Patients who are vegetarian or gluten-free are more commonly deficient in biotin.
- People deficient in biotin may experience brittle or cracked nails and thin or brittle hair.
- The recommended adult dosage for biotin is 30mcg/day
- The recommended adult dosage for glutathione is 600-1000mg/day
Potential Side Effects:
- Tingling in arms or legs
- Skin rash
- Abdominal cramps